Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/summertc/www/www/Wordpress/wp-content/themes/rttheme17/content_generator.php on line 116
[by Maureen Houston]
If you have an infection here is the advice Maureen Houston – Oxford’s most experienced – Nutritional Therapist would recommend…
“At all costs, avoid over-the-counter flu and cold medications, such as Night Nurse, Lemsip, Aspirin, Paracetamol, etc. These only suppress the symptoms, and ultimately can cause problems with your digestive system. Also, do not allow your doctor to give you a prescription for antibiotics (unless you have a definitively diagnosed bacterial infection). It is most likely that your infection is viral, for which antibiotics are useless and cause damage to the lining of your gut, further depleting your immune system.
These nutritional supplements will help you fight infections naturally:
- Extra vitamin C (you should already be taking 2 grams (2000mg) daily) – to fight infection, increase this to 4-6 grams daily, taking 1000mg at 2-3 hour intervals
- Echinacea and goldenseal – in tablet or tincture form
- Boswellia Plus for headaches, aching body/limbs
- Zinc (tablets or lozenges)
- Lobelia Complex – especially good for coughs
For colds, coughs, sore throats, mix the following brew (in a teapot):
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, sliced
- Huge handful of fresh sage leaves
- 2 tabs Manuka honey (no other kind will do)
Pour boiling water, replace lid, let it stand for at least ten minutes.
Fill mug; gargle several times with this mixture, then drink at least two large mugs of it.
Repeat every 2-3 hours throughout the day.
As an extra infection-fighter and immune-booster, make a large batch of chicken soup, using a fresh (preferably free-range, organic) whole chicken, large quantities of onions and garlic, and a few sliced carrots, celery sticks, and fresh herbs. Cover with water, bring to boil, skim off debris on top, lower heat and simmer for couple of hours.
Have several portions throughout the day – its anti-viral properties will work wonders!”
If you would like to discuss your nutritional needs with Maureen Houston, then please ring the clinic on 01865 558561 and speak to one of our friendly receptionists.