It’s 2pm, you’ve had a stressful morning at work, only made worse by not sleeping well last night looking after your toddler who was unsettled. You haven’t really stopped for lunch today and have been staring at the brightness of your computer screen since 9am. Your head on the right side is starting to pound. It’s not just this pounding pain that worries you though. That all too familiar feeling is starting to come on, you feel nauseas, and your vision on the right side is starting to feel odd. You need to leave work, now. This is not just a headache, it’s a migraine!
Does this sound like you? Or someone you know? Would you like some help?
Migraines are more than “just a headache”. They affect 1 in 7 people. The main feature of a migraine is a painful headache but this is usually accompanied by a pattern of disturbances to your senses. This might include:
- Disturbed vision
- Sensitivity to light, sound and smell
- Feeling sick and vomiting
- Tingling and numbness
Migraines are complex. A clear cause is yet to be discovered. It is likely there is a genetic link and there are several known triggers. These are:
- Lack of sleep
- Consuming alcohol and certain trigger foods
- Lack of food and water
- Environmental factors like bright lights
Luckily, despite migraines being complicated, there are numerous different treatments that can help. Some have more evidence than others and outcomes will differ from person to person. A good approach is to get as much information as you can and follow what feels right for you. There are a variety of medications your GP can advise you on. They fall into two groups; these to take when a migraine attack occurs and others to prevent migraines.
Preventatively chiropractic care can help migraine sufferers. Chiropractors work on your joints and muscles with a variety of techniques such as joint manipulation and massage and medical acupuncture, also known as dry needling. Exercising and maintaining a healthy weight can help too.
Nadine Harrison, Chiropractor at Summertown Clinic says “I have seen great results with people who have suffered migraines. It can be life changing for them. Some people have had migraines since childhood; and they are seeing me as an adult! Particularly the use of acupuncture helps. Research has shown it gives fewer headaches day, reduces medication use, and reduces days off work”
Would you like to lose less days to migraine? Get in touch now 01865 558561 to schedule a consultation with Nadine, or call in for a chat. We would love to help you.
Other Recent Articles
- 10 Sep 2019Migraines; more than “just a headache”It’s 2pm, you’ve had a stressful morning at work, only made worse by not sleeping well last night lo...
- 12 Aug 2019Differences & Similarities Between Osteopathy & Chiropracticby Nadine Harrison – Chiropractor As a chiropractor, this is one of the questions I am most fr...
- 12 Aug 2019Testimonial for Nadine Harrison“I was struggling with health issues but your chiropractic help and supportive listening skills real...
- 29 Jul 201910% off massage with Claire CecilWould you like a massage with Claire Cecil? She offers a range of different massage techniques to su...
- 15 Apr 2019Good Friday – Work For Charity DayOn Good Friday (Friday 19th April’19) three of Summertown Clinic’s practitioners are ded...