Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/summertc/www/www/Wordpress/wp-content/themes/rttheme17/content_generator.php on line 116
It’s 2pm, you’ve had a stressful morning at work, only made worse by not sleeping well last night looking after your toddler who was unsettled. You haven’t really stopped for lunch today and have been staring at the brightness of your computer screen since 9am. Your head on the right side is starting to pound. It’s not just this pounding pain that worries you though. That all too familiar feeling is starting to come on, you feel nauseas, and your vision on the right side is starting to feel odd. You need to leave work, now. This is not just a headache, it’s a migraine!
Does this sound like you? Or someone you know? Would you like some help?
Migraines are more than “just a headache”. They affect 1 in 7 people. The main feature of a migraine is a painful headache but this is usually accompanied by a pattern of disturbances to your senses. This might include:
- Disturbed vision
- Sensitivity to light, sound and smell
- Feeling sick and vomiting
- Tingling and numbness
Migraines are complex. A clear cause is yet to be discovered. It is likely there is a genetic link and there are several known triggers. These are:
- Lack of sleep
- Consuming alcohol and certain trigger foods
- Lack of food and water
- Environmental factors like bright lights
Luckily, despite migraines being complicated, there are numerous different treatments that can help. Some have more evidence than others and outcomes will differ from person to person. A good approach is to get as much information as you can and follow what feels right for you. There are a variety of medications your GP can advise you on. They fall into two groups; these to take when a migraine attack occurs and others to prevent migraines.
Preventatively chiropractic care can help migraine sufferers. Chiropractors work on your joints and muscles with a variety of techniques such as joint manipulation and massage and medical acupuncture, also known as dry needling. Exercising and maintaining a healthy weight can help too.
Nadine Harrison, Chiropractor at Summertown Clinic says “I have seen great results with people who have suffered migraines. It can be life changing for them. Some people have had migraines since childhood; and they are seeing me as an adult! Particularly the use of acupuncture helps. Research has shown it gives fewer headaches day, reduces medication use, and reduces days off work”
Would you like to lose less days to migraine? Get in touch now 01865 558561 to schedule a consultation with Nadine, or call in for a chat. We would love to help you.
Other Recent Articles
- 20 Dec 2019Back pain prevention talk with Nadine at Finders KeepersSummertown Clinic Chiropractor Nadine Harrison visited Finders Keepers estate agents on Banbury Road...
- 18 Dec 2019Christmas Opening Hours 2019/2020We will be open across the Christmas and New Year weeks although there won’t be as many appoin...
- 13 Dec 2019Osteopathic Exercise Therapyby Andrew Nicholettos Last year I launched a specialist service at Summertown Clinic called Osteopat...
- 06 Dec 2019Verrucas – to treat or not to treat?You’ll find that some Foot Health Practitioners will treat verrucas while others will steer well cle...
- 21 Nov 2019Nadine’s top tips for better back health with your techWith devices and new technologies now a staple in both homes and workplaces, Nadine Harrison (Chirop...