British Chiropractic Association (BCA) reveals increase in clients seeking treatment for back pain caused by sedentary lifestyles – by Nadine Harrison
A recent UK survey initiated by the British Chiropractic Association has revealed technology is reported to be the biggest growing cause of back pain in the UK. Lower back pain was revealed to be the most common complaint BCA chiropractors treat among all their patients, as a growing number of people continue to replace regular exercise with sedentary habits.
This fits with statistics from across the world which suggest that low back pain causes more global disability than any other condition*.
- 70% of chiropractors have treated patients with injuries linked to sedentary lifestyle habits
- 68% of chiropractors have seen an increase in children with issues linked to screen time
- Technology has been found to have the biggest growing impact on people’s back health.
- Less than 10% of British teenagers meet the recommended guidelines for sleep, exercise and screen time**.
- More than three-quarters of teenagers spent more than the recommended two hours a day interacting with screens.
“Our lifestyles have completely changed in the last 20 years, with advances in technology like mobile phones and smart devices meaning we’re spending less time on the move, and more time looking at screens. We now spend so much more time at a desk working from a laptop or computer too. All of this is having a direct impact on our general back health.
“With young people particularly, it’s important to remember that their bones and skeletons are still developing. This means that habitual behaviour, like bending your head over your phone, is more likely to lead to postural issues.
“Easy changes to your day-to-day life can make a significant difference, but if your pain doesn’t reduce or is prolonged, you should always see a health professional for further guidance.”
If you are suffering with back or neck pain, follow Nadine’s Top Tips right away. – Click here
If your pain is not improving, seek help from a professional who can assess your back and give you a a plan of action.
Appointments are available with Nadine Harrison at Summertown Clinic. Please call 01865 558561 to book in for a consultation today or book online here.
Other Recent Articles
- 18 Feb 2020A Modern Understanding of Back Pain – there is no single answer“What is the cause of my pain?” The most common question I get asked as a healthcare pra...
- 17 Feb 2020Jaw Pain – Wagon Wheels, Wrigley’s and Why Your Head Hurtsby Duncan Cameron Mitchell (Osteopath) – following a course he attended on Temporomandibular D...
- 16 Feb 2020An Osteopaths Tips for New Mums with Back Painby Duncan Cameron Mitchell (Osteopath) Back pain is a reality for many new mums. Having seen my wife...
- 11 Feb 2020Back Pain on the Train?A Do’s and Don’ts guide by Atlanta Kyte – Osteopath DO take the time to relax and...
- 20 Dec 2019Back pain prevention talk with Nadine at Finders KeepersSummertown Clinic Chiropractor Nadine Harrison visited Finders Keepers estate agents on Banbury Road...