Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/summertc/www/www/Wordpress/wp-content/themes/rttheme17/content_generator.php on line 116
British Chiropractic Association (BCA) reveals increase in clients seeking treatment for back pain caused by sedentary lifestyles – by Nadine Harrison
A recent UK survey initiated by the British Chiropractic Association has revealed technology is reported to be the biggest growing cause of back pain in the UK. Lower back pain was revealed to be the most common complaint BCA chiropractors treat among all their patients, as a growing number of people continue to replace regular exercise with sedentary habits.
This fits with statistics from across the world which suggest that low back pain causes more global disability than any other condition*.
- 70% of chiropractors have treated patients with injuries linked to sedentary lifestyle habits
- 68% of chiropractors have seen an increase in children with issues linked to screen time
- Technology has been found to have the biggest growing impact on people’s back health.
- Less than 10% of British teenagers meet the recommended guidelines for sleep, exercise and screen time**.
- More than three-quarters of teenagers spent more than the recommended two hours a day interacting with screens.
“Our lifestyles have completely changed in the last 20 years, with advances in technology like mobile phones and smart devices meaning we’re spending less time on the move, and more time looking at screens. We now spend so much more time at a desk working from a laptop or computer too. All of this is having a direct impact on our general back health.
“With young people particularly, it’s important to remember that their bones and skeletons are still developing. This means that habitual behaviour, like bending your head over your phone, is more likely to lead to postural issues.
“Easy changes to your day-to-day life can make a significant difference, but if your pain doesn’t reduce or is prolonged, you should always see a health professional for further guidance.”
If you are suffering with back or neck pain, follow Nadine’s Top Tips right away. – Click here
If your pain is not improving, seek help from a professional who can assess your back and give you a a plan of action.
Appointments are available with Nadine Harrison at Summertown Clinic. Please call 01865 558561 to book in for a consultation today or book online here.
Other Recent Articles
- 06 Dec 2019Verrucas – to treat or not to treat?You’ll find that some Foot Health Practitioners will treat verrucas while others will steer well cle...
- 21 Nov 2019Nadine’s top tips for better back health with your techWith devices and new technologies now a staple in both homes and workplaces, Nadine Harrison (Chirop...
- 21 Nov 2019Technology found to be the biggest growing cause of back pain in the UKBritish Chiropractic Association (BCA) reveals increase in clients seeking treatment for back pain c...
- 18 Nov 2019Ongoing research highlights the importance of the lymphatic system on brain healthby Claire Cecil – Manual Lymphatic Drainage Therapist Ongoing research is seeking to understan...
- 10 Sep 2019Migraines; more than “just a headache”It’s 2pm, you’ve had a stressful morning at work, only made worse by not sleeping well last night lo...